Friday, February 3, 2012

Chapter 2 Summary

I love the idea of teamwork in the classroom. I believe there are too many teachers in schools out there that have no communication with each other. Jeff Whipple talks about how lucky he was to be able to brainstorm and reflect with his colleagues about what was going on in the classroom. I completely agree that more collaboration needs to be built into today's schools.

Teachers today absolutely have to be comfortable with today's technology. Teachers can get help with learning these technologies by working together with other teachers. The efforts to build in time for teachers to collaborate with each other into the school day is definitely a step in the right direction.

Teachers need to try new things and incorporate digital-age projects into the classroom.  Teachers that do this understand the importance of teamwork among students and teachers. As the book says, whatever the reason for change, teachers will find an advantage to working together when implementing project-based learning.

Being ready to collaborate with others is key. You have to be able to receive critical feedback and be comfortable with sharing decision making. Jeff Whipple says, "You need to be comfortable saying, That worked okay, but maybe try this next time." We must have intention and trust in order to succeed with teamwork and moving forward with project base learning.

This idea of a "learning organization," or professional learning community is new to me. I love the idea of learning within a group and everyone putting there minds together. I like how professional learning communities give teachers more time to discuss what they are teaching and how to go about teaching it. Teachers must find more ways to work together and create these learning organizations.

We have to get rid of teacher isolation. Being part of a learning community with collaboration among colleagues is so important. Project-based learning is going to put new demands on teachers that these communities will help with. It is so important to share a common goal. I can't wait to start or become one of these communities where we all share a common goal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment